Monday, April 14, 2008

The Evolution of My Scrapbooks


Looking back at my scrapbboking history it seems that I've always loved to put pictures and memoribilia into albums. This one was my very first scrapbook given to me for my 7th birthday.


I started off putting my birthday cards and some school papers and various programs from my ballet class.


I must've forgotten about it because the next page sh0ws favorite musicians and TV shows from 1985-1986.


We got these really neat memory books my senior year - 1991- from the Josten's company.


I had a ton of fun filling it out. This page is about my senior prom. I went with my boyfriend, Nate. He's now my husband.


My next scrapbook came from Hallmark. I went to nanny in LA so I wanted something to hold all my memories in.


First page. The only tools I had were Scotch tape and Crayola markers.


As you can see in early 1992 I was already cutting my photos into groovy freehand shapes.


Ah, the magnetic album. Circa 1992-1993


Another primitive look at freehand cropping. I used a title and stickers from Hallmark.


A fun flannel covered three-ring binder given to us as a baby gift. Circa 1997.


Back in the late 90's there were about 12 colors of cardstock from Michaels. If you wanted any other color you had to resort to construction paper. Other tools: scalloped scissors and glue stick. I don't quite know what lightening bolts have to do with baby girls but there they are.


I was so excited when the Paper Pizzazz paper books came out. I think I bought every one and proceeded to use them on every page no matter how busy they were.


This layout was completed after purchasing my first idea book. I believe it was a Fiskars one. I soon subscribed to Memory Makers magazine.


My very first Creative Memories album. Circa 1998. I took out photos from a three ring binder and redid them in this album. It was an 8 1/2 X 11 because we couldn't afford the 12 X 12 and at the time we were getting our photos printed in the 3 X 5 format.


Using the Creative Memories triangle corner and strip of paper. I still use this combo.


My very first 12 X 12 page in late 1998.


I thought I was so clever making this hair dryer background.


An attempt to be really fancy. Circa 2000. I remember spending a lot of time on this page. Throughout the years I did very few fancy pages as I became a CM consultant for several years so that was the only product I used. Most of my pages were done using the CM idea books and CM Fast Formulas.

The following pages are ones I did at the last scrapbook retreat I went to. All of these layouts were inspired by the Creating Keepsakes Becky Higgins' Sketch books.






Looking back at the 10 year old layouts it's like looking back at pictures of yourself wearing the styles and hairdo of years past. Really embarrassing. I'd love to yank all those pictures out of the glue-sticked, construction paper pages and redo them all but I fear that in 10 years I will be facing the same dilemma.

No comments: